Pathfinder Position Description 2019
Jump Start Mission:
The Jump Start program is designed to facilitate the successful transition of underrepresented students to the University of Northern Iowa.
We do this by:
- Connecting students to an active support network of faculty, staff, and students.
- Facilitating group conversations about the experiences of underrepresented students on a predominantly white campus.
- Providing access to living and learning communities with other Jump Start participants.
- Fostering student engagement through early move-in to the residence halls and early exposure to campus staff and services.
- Empowering students to manage financial, time, and personal resources.
- Assisting students in achieving academic and personal success.
Pathfinders are responsible for serving as mentors and guides to new UNI students participating in the Jump Start extended orientation program. Pathfinder duties will include participation in training sessions, small group facilitation, staffing all aspects of the Jump Start program (including but not limited to check-in, program sessions, and social activities), providing resource and referral information to students and families, preparing Jump Start materials, and other duties as assigned.
$9.00 per hour
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Currently enrolled UNI undergraduate student (must also be enrolled during the fall term following employment) in good academic standing
- Positive attitude regarding the university
- Ability to work effectively with groups and individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Openness to learning more about self, others, and UNI
- Strong communication skills
- Preference given to former Jump Start participants
- Full-time staff training from Monday, August 12 through Friday, August 16, 2019
- Full-time work during Jump Start from Sunday, August 18 through Wednesday August 21, 2019
- Pathfinders must be in attendance for the entire week of training and the entire Jump Start week
Complete an application by February 13, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
Contact email@example.com or 319-273-2332 with questions.