down arrowMenu

Student Success and Retention

Students at Orientation

DACA and Undocumented Student Resources

The University of Northern Iowa is committed to student success, which includes providing a campus culture that reflects and values the evolving diversity of society and promotes inclusion. As a campus community we strive to fully support all of our students, including undocumented students and those most directly affected by the recent phase-out of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). We have compiled information and resources to help students and families navigate these barriers while continuing to move toward their educational goals.

University of Northern Iowa Resources

Statement of support from President Mark Nook

American Council on Education letter in support of legislation to protect Dreamers relased October 19, 2017, signed by UNI as well as 800 other colleges and universities

Statement in support of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program and our undocumented immigrant students, The Pomona College Letter, signed by the University of Northern Iowa along with 545 other colleges and university presidents

Counseling Services, 103 Health Services, 319-273-2676

Center for Multicultural Education, 109 Maucker Union, 319-273-2250

Dean of Students, 118 Gilchrist, 319-273-2332

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, 105 Gilchrist Hall, 319-273-2700

Office of the Registrar, 115 Gilchrist Hall, 319-273-2241

International Students and Scholars Office, 113 Maucker Union, 319-273-6421

University Human Resource Services, 27 Gilchrist Hall, 319-273-2422

Student Success and Retention, 118 Gilchrist Hall, 319-273-2332 (ask for Kristin)

Deferred Action (DACA) Program Information

Top 5 things to know about the DACA repeal announcement:

DACA program eligibility and benefits:

Frequently asked questions: Rescission of DACA (US Department of Homeland Security):

Financial Information and Resources

Scholarships and resources for undocumented students:

Iowa College Aid resources for DREAMers:

Scholarships available to undocumented students (see pages 38-42):

Tuition and financial aid policies:

Legal Information and Assistance

Iowa immigration service providers and related resources: (see page two of this sublink for immigration lawyers based in Waterloo/Cedar Falls)

Immigrant Rights Under a Trump Presidency, FAQs from MALDEF:

ICE policy on sensitive locations:

Free legal help through Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC):

Faculty and Staff Resources for Supporting Undocumented Youth

Tips for higher education faculty and staff (see pages 17 -  21) 

United We Dream training presentation for educators:

Resources for educators to support undocumented students and families:

College advising for undocumented students:

Frequently Asked Questions*

  1. Is my DACA status still valid? Yes, your DACA is valid until its expiration date. DACA and work permits (employment authorization documents) will remain valid until their expiration date. To determine when your DACA and work permit expire, check your I-795 Approval Notice and the bottom of your employment authorization document (EAD).

  2. Can I still apply for DACA? No new DACA applications are being accepted. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will not accept or process first-time applications for DACA after September 5, 2017.

  3. If I already have DACA can I renew it? No. October 5, 2017 was the deadline for renewal of DACA issuances and work permits that expire between September 5, 2017 and March 5, 2018. There are attorneys and resources in Iowa who can assist with your renewal.

  4. Can undocumented students, including former and current DACA recipients, enroll at the University of Northern Iowa? Yes. The state of Iowa allows students, regardless of immigration status, to enroll in public colleges and universities.

  5. Can undocumented students, including former and current DACA recipients, qualify for financial aid and scholarships? Undocumented students are not eligible for federal financial aid. However private scholarship funding is available to undocumented students. See the financial aid information and resources section of this web page for links to these programs.

  6. If my DACA status expires can I continue as a student at the University of Northern Iowa? Yes. You are still a student at the University of Northern Iowa and we are committed to supporting you in meeting your educational goals.

  7. If I am stopped by Iowa police, am I required to show proof of my immigration status? No, the state of Iowa has no “show me your papers” law.

  8. Where can I find access to immigration legal assistance? Visit the Iowa Department of Human Rights Immigration Resources page for legal resources, including a link to immigration lawyers in Iowa.  Note that page two of this document lists two immigration lawyers based on Waterloo/Cedar Falls. 

*Portions of this FAQ copied with permission from Iowa State University.